Re: archivelog leads to crashes...?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:07:22 +1100

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:4056c2b6$0$6545$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message
> > Understand what "putting a database into archivelog mode" actually
means.
> It
> > means setting a bit in the control file which says "you are no longer
> > permitted to over-write the contents of the online redo logs unless they
> > have been archived".
> >
> > And that's it.
> >
> > It says nothing about actually *taking* the archives in the first place.
> >
> > Therefore, you've just successfully instructed your database to fill up
> all
> > the online logs and then come to a grinding halt, because no further
> online
> > logs are available, and the ones you've got can't be over-written.
>
> Fantastic stuff isn't it. You decide you want to run in archivelog mode
and
> Oracle insists that there is a possibility that you wish to archive
> manually. Right up there with pctincrease=50 and compress=y for me.

They were just thinking ahead, Niall. With 10g being self-managing, there's *got* to be something for the junior DBA to be doing, otherwise it just gets embarrassing. There is only so much photocopying that one can do!!

;-)

It is an odd one, though, isn't it. I would have thought that there would be a set-one-thing-and-do-it-all option for such a key piece of database functionality by now. I imagine this is a classic example of 'it's always be done this way' and a commensurate 'unable to think outside the box' mentality. It's easily done. I still remember the sense of shock when I first realised you couldn't create data dictionary managed tablespace in 9iR2 anymore!

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Mar 16 2004 - 03:07:22 CST