Re: 10g client on Linux can't connect use Oracle Names Server, tnsnames.ora OK

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:02:20 +1100

"Dr.J" <jizwang_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:15fd14b1.0403151247.2cca5f53_at_posting.google.com...
> hi all, just installed Oracle 10g on an Intel Linux box and was
> surprised to find out that I can not connect to other remote database
> using Oracle Names Server (from 9i), say sqlplus and tnsping
> (TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
> ). the same sqlnet.ora file works OK for 9i/8i both Windows and Unix
> clients.
>
> besides, 10g netmgr does not show "Oracle NAMES" as a naming method.
> In fact, available Methods panel is empty.
>
> both sqlplus and tnsping can use tnsnames.ora file.

And your question would be....?

If you are asking why your names server disappears in 10g, it might have something to do with the fact that names server was actually supposed to be abolished in 9i, but managed to cling on for one more version as the, er, "peculiarities" of Oracle Internet Directory were ironed out. But the time has apparently come in 10g for it to finally be put out to pasture: we are all supposed to be ldap experts these days.

You've got other problems if it is truly the case that the "available" methods panel is empty. Certainly, I'd expect your "selected" methods panel to be empty. But in "available", you should see Local naming, NIS External naming, Directory Naming, DCE CDS External Naming and Easy Connect Naming.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Mar 15 2004 - 15:02:20 CST