Re: Used ports on oracle

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:13:14 +1100

"Oebele Dijkstra" <O.Dijkstra_at_odconsult.net> wrote in message news:4055b7fa$0$67332$e4fe514c_at_dreader8.news.xs4all.nl...
> hello all,
>
> We try to connect to an oracle database over a VPN.
>
> I thought only the listener port (1521 by default) should be opened in the
> firewall.

That would be the case if, having contacted the listener, you stayed connected to it. But you don't: the listener forwards you on to a server process which it spawns on a completely random port. You need to be able to connect to that randomly-chosen port.

Which means drilling enough holes in your firewall that it acts more like a sieve than a firewall, or upgrading your firewall technology. Statefull packet inspection firewalls are what you need, preferably one certified by Oracle.

Or you could spend a smallish fortune on licensing the CMAN ("Connection Manager") product from Oracle. One of its jobs is to drill through firewalls on a well-defined few-port basis.

Regards
HJR