Re: hide password for client sessions

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:43:29 +1100

"John Leslie" <johnleslie_at_madasafish.com> wrote in message news:4412dd31.0403150218.4d04be9e_at_posting.google.com...
> <<It requires no O/S setup>>
>
> Doesn't it a least require a unix account with the same name?
>
> John

No.

Here's a test of me on my Windows XP laptop client and my Linux Advanced Server 3 10g machine.

SQL> create user Howard identified externally;

User created.

SQL> grant create session to Howard;

Grant succeeded.

On the client:

C:\Documents and Settings\Howard>sqlplus /@lx10

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Mar 15 22:38:21 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

Now I can assure you that the Linux box only has accounts for root and oracle, not Howard. So no, you don't need to set up Unix accounts to make this work. The only thing I did to make it all happen was to set OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX="" in the init.ora. I also set REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT=true.

The only other catch is to get a client to log in using normal username/password authentication, and query the OSUSER column in v$session. If you can see their real (O/S) username in that, like this:

SQL> select username, osuser from v$session;

USERNAME                       OSUSER
DBSNMP                         oracle
SYSTEM                         Howard

...then this technique will work for you. Trouble might start, I guess, if you do connection multiplexing via an application server or similar shennanigans.

Regards
HJR