Re: 9iRAC/AIX5.2 Installation Questions

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:52:54 +1100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1079267739.527863_at_yasure...
> A. Fuentes wrote:
>

> > Fellow Oracle Users:
> >
> > I will be installing 9iRAC on two AIX nodes.
> >

> > 1)Any pointers to web resources and guides?.
> >
> > 2)Any pitfalls/advice?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> > A. Fuentes
>
> Keep the IBM consulting team, especially the DB2 ones, as far away
> from your checkbook and your hardware as you can.
>
> Be very sure to test that you have a clustered file system before
> proceeding to install anything from Oracle.

What if he wants to RAC with raw??

I think you mean 'test you have a working cluster before worrying about the Oracle stuff'.

In which case, fair enough, though it is equally plausible to install non-RAC Oracle executables onto two separate machines, cluster the machines, and then add in the extra RAC components (otherwise how would you ever be able to upgrade from single instance Oracle to multi-instance?). Because of the myriad problems you can get with the bit of the install where Oracle replicates the executables over the interconnect to the second node, it is actually (IMHO) preferable to minimise the amount of stuff to be transferred in such a way precisely by doing a RAC-less install onto each machine first. Only the RAC-specific executables then get pushed across the interconnect.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Mar 14 2004 - 12:52:54 CST