Re: MS SQL Server Evaluation

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 09:15:53 -0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

>>RAC is not OPS. There is not a single line of OPS code in RAC as far as
>>I know. It is a completely different animal built on the fact that
>>everyone agrees that OPS was a good concept and a bad implementation.

> Are you sure your students don't get to post under your name, Daniel?
> Because only a student with a limited grasp of the facts could make that
> statement.
>
> The clues are there all over. The Global Enqueue Service is known by the
> process abbreviation ...er... LMD. Uh huh. The Global Cache Service is known
> by the process abbreviation... er... LMS. Gosh. I wonder why "Global Enqueue
> Service" gets abbreviated as LMD. It wouldn't perhaps have anything to do
> with fact that OPS had a process called Distributed Lock Manager would it??
> I could go on, but I won't bore you. RAC is OPS with knobs on.

Clues or no clues ... I have good reasons for stating that it is a completely different code base. There are some aspects of clustering that are just the nature of clustering so of course the names and the functionality are the same. But to extend that to assume as you have done that RAC is OPS with knobs on is not correct.

> That's presumably why Oracle expended considerable effort in getting 9i
> release 2 to coordinate sequences across instances, then, yes?

I don't work for Oracle and I don't make decisions for them. If I did Ray Lane might still be there driving Larry crazy. But there are plenty of simple workarounds for sequences if one thinks it through.

> It is easy to trot out trite answers in this forum. It is rather different
> in the real world. Business decisions are not always capable of being
> subject to such simplistic analysis.

If you are calling what some of Oracle's largest RAC customers are doing "trite answers" then I plead guilty and will serve time.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu