Re: Foolish question regarding ref cursors

From: Richard S. Crawford <rscrawfordDUCK_at_mossREMOVEWATERFOWLroot.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:32:19 -0800

Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, rscrawfordDUCK_at_mossREMOVEWATERFOWLroot.com
> wrote:
>

>>I have a Cold Fusion page which calls an Oracle Stored
>>Procedure, which in turn returns a ref cursor containing a
>>result set.  I've discovered that if I close the cursor before
>>returning to Cold Fusion, then Cold Fusion does not have access
>>to the result set.

> Not sure why you thought differently.
>

>>My question is, is it prudent to call another stored procedure
>>after Cold Fusion has the result set that will close the ref
>>cursor?  Or is it okay to just leave it open?

> You need to iterate over the result set doing whatever you need
> to do and then close it.

I'm not really doing anything with the result set in the stored procedure. The job of the stored procedure is to pull up a result set which it passes back to Cold Fusion. However, if I close the cursor before returning to Cold Fusion, the result set is not available to Cold Fusion. I tried creating a separate procedure whose only job was to close the cursor, but that, of course, failed, since the cursor it was trying to close was declared in a separate procedure. Received on Thu Mar 11 2004 - 18:32:19 CST