Re: RAC and load-balancing a connection pool

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 06:15:57 +1100

> > Hi, all,
> > I'm having a problem with getting proper load-balancing on a RAC with
> > a JDBC connection pool. When the connection pool is created, all the
> > connections get routed to the least-loaded node, so when queries start
> > getting submitted, they all end up swamping the single node.
> > Unfortunately, that's what it's supposed to be doing, ie. the listener
> > load-balances properly because at the point of connection, the second
> > node is the least loaded. Is there a better way to get some balancing
> > at query-time versus at connect-time? Thanks in advance,
> >
> > thanh

No. In RAC, you can use client load balancing ("pick me a listener at random") or connection load balancing ("regardless of what listener I've arrived at, please forward me on to the least heavily-loaded instance"). Going for client load balancing isn't therefore going to help you, because your connection load balancing will mean it becomes irrelevant what listener you've originally contacted. And connection load balancing itself works by assessing the CPU load on nodes *at the time of connection* (as you obviously know already) and there's no way this can be changed to check for load at the time of execution (though it's a nice idea!).

Sorry
HJR Received on Thu Mar 11 2004 - 13:15:57 CST