Re: 10g on linux

From: Michael Squires <mikes_at_cs.indiana.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 02:40:05 +0000 (UTC)

In article <66c21d72.0403101323.15d0a41c_at_posting.google.com>, Major Blunts <bluntmon_at_mail.buffalo.com> wrote:
>"danilo_NO" <minervini_at_despammed.com> wrote in message
>> It's possible to install Oracle 10g
>> on a free linux distribution.
>>
>> The installer tell me that i need
>> Red Hat Enterpise 2.1 or 3,
>> but i have a machine with Mandrake 9.
>>
>> Help me
>>
>> danilo
>
>Has anyone reported on or documented a 10g install on Linux?

Yes - www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle10g.shtml

I used his instructions under WhiteBox LINUX (based on RH ES 3) and it installed without errors. Puschitz's instructions were slightly different from Oracle's and solved a few problems I had before I found his web site.

I started/stopped the database, created tables, accessed the database from a PC using SQL*Plus (9i client) and Enterprise Manager, no problems.

Points which may be obvious to the experienced are that (1) the install box has to have a fully qualified domain name (i.e., nslookup <IP number> resolves to the FQDN of the box, and nslookup <FQDN> gives you the IP number of the box; (2) passwords shouldn't begin with numbers; (3) the Oracle instructions for setting kernel parameters isn't quite right for RH9 or WhiteBox, but Puschitz documents the method that works to set the SEM kernel parameters, and (3) the Oracle suggestions for setting various shell parameters grants those increased parameters to everyone and can create a race condition under rather unlikely conditions.

Mike Squires, definitely not a LINUX or Oracle expert

--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu)     317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at siralan.org             546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408