Re: Oracle 8i: Database Configuration Assistant missing from menu

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:01:28 GMT

Trish Mitchell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed the Oracle Enterprise Manager (with Oracle Tuning,
> Change Management and Diagnostics Pack Version 2.2) and Oracle 8i
> client (Release 3 (8.1.7)) on my PC, to help administer my HP-UX 8i
> database (also Release 3 (8.1.7)).
>
> The installation did not produce any errors or warnings, but I don't
> seem to have the Database Configuration Assistant in my Programs Menu,
> and I can't find it in any of the installation disks.
>
> I know how to create database manually, but it would be much easier if
> I could do it from the OEM or the DBA studio.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there a workaround? Am I just
> being really stupid?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Trish

If you did not install the Oracle software itself, only the client and OEM then it probably didn't install. It is meant for creating a database on the local machine only AFAIK. The command that runs it is DBAssist.bat in your <oracle_home>\bin directory so you can check there. In linux look for $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbca, HP-UX I'd imagine its the same, but I'm not sure.

hth Received on Wed Mar 10 2004 - 09:01:28 CST