Re: is there limit to number of partitions in a table

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:21:08 +1100

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:1a75df45.0403100509.5da7ccb2_at_posting.google.com...
> colin_lyse_at_yahoo.com (colin_lyse) wrote
>
> > we have a very large table (starting at 1 billion growing by 4 million a day
> > we will keep 2 years - 2 billion rows) that has to be partitioned. Is there
> > limit ot number of partitions, not necessarily a physical limit, more of a
> > partical limit. We are thinking of creating ~104 partitions (1 per week, 20
> > million rows), is that execessive.
>
> No, not IMO. I would think 1000+ partitions may become a problem.

I do recall some wisdom on this subject from Jonathan, a coupla years or so ago when he was "stretching" 8ir3 to rupture point? Maybe a search in google might be in order if he's busy and can't jump in of himself.

But I do also recall the limit was a lot higher than 1000. He reached in the tens of thousands of partitions before it started to go South on him.

It's gonna be relevant to know the version the OP is running as well.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto