Are all Oracle docs as badly written as RMAN docs?

From: Vitalis <vitalisREMOVETHAT_at_numericable.fr>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:35:58 +0100

Hi all!

I'm back with my critics about Oracle docs, especially RMAN docs.

What do you think about the official books we can find on tahiti.oracle.com? Are they all full of mistakes? I can't remember seeing a lot of errors in the pages I read from the server admin guides, but now I doubt.
Their quality assurance system for the documentation does not seem to be good. OK, we can "send them our comments" as suggested, but it would be a lot of writing...

As an example for those who use RMAN, here's a little game: how many errors are there in the following simple example taken from RMAN user's guide? I think there are 4.

Optimizing a Daily Archived Log Backup to Multiple Tapes: Example

In this example, you back up logs that are not already on tape to one tape pool, then back up the same logs to a second tape pool. Finally, you delete old logs.

For the first step, perform the one-time configuration:

# configure backup optimization

CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION ON;
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO sbt;

Then, run the following script at the same time every night to back up the logs generated during the previous day to two separate tape pools:

# The following command will back up just the archived logs that are not
on tape. The
# first copies are saved to the tapes from the pool "archivelog_pool_1"

RUN
{

     ALLOCATE CHANNEL c1 DEVICE TYPE sbt     PARMS='NSR_DATA_VOLUME_POOL=ARCHIVELOG_POOL_1';   BACKUP CHANNEL 'ORA_SBT_TAPE_1' ARCHIVELOG ALL; }
# Make one more copy of the archived logs and save them to tapes from a
different pool
RUN
{
  ALLOCATE CHANNEL c2 DEVICE TYPE sbt
    PARMS='NSR_DATA_VOLUME_POOL=ARCHIVELOG_POOL_2';   BACKUP CHANNEL 'ORA_SBT_TAPE_2' ARCHIVELOG     FROM TIME 'SYSDATE-1'
    UNTIL TIME 'SYSDATE'; # specify UNTIL so that RMAN does not archive     current log
}
# Delete old logs - for example, delete logs created within the last week.
DELETE ARCHIVELOG ALL COMPLETED AFTER 'SYSDATE-7'; Received on Tue Mar 09 2004 - 08:35:58 CST