Re: alter session set sql_trace inside a procedure

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:03:23 GMT

http://www.petefinnigan.com/ramblings/how_to_set_trace.htm
> which is excellent.
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

Thank you for the link Niall.
Regarding DBMS_SUPPORT, I cannot install the package as I am not the DBA of the database where these tests are carried out, I am just "the" developer. I had some thoughts about what I stated at the beginning of this thread and more and more I find that it could be advisable to instrument the code in such a way that tracing can be turned on without tampering with sql scripts. Today I found myself in one of those situations where you need to enable tracing before launching a series of batch processes and you cannot touch the sql scripts because they are located on a machine where you don't even have access to the command line.
I don't have access to DBA stuff either, so DBMS_SYSTEM.SET_SQL_TRACE_IN_SESSION is out of question. So I thought it could be great to have the possibility of enabling sql trace inside the procedure, depending on a global variable or via dbms_alert, to avoid adding parameters to the existing procedures. I like the dbms_alert approach because it's very easy to implement and gives you the ability to turn on tracing selectively or extensively by means of a simple message that can be broadcast in advance. Next I need to convince the sysadmin to make trace files available, but this is a different story...

Bye,
Flavio Received on Mon Mar 08 2004 - 17:03:23 CST