Re: RAISED EXCEPTION not well caught

From: Peter Wu <peterwu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 16:27:20 -0500

On 08/03/2004 4:13 PM, Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Peter Wu wrote:
>

>> Hello group,
>>
>> I'm new to Oracle PL/SQL.
>>
>> I have written a test script as follows.
>>
>> BEGIN
>> select min(contract_start_date)
>> into l_min_contract_start_date
>> from contracts
>> where customer_last_name = 'Bush';
>>
>> if (l_min_contract_start_date is null) then
>> raise NO_DATA_FOUND;
>> end if;
>>
>> BEGIN
>>
>> /* do something */
>>
>> EXCEPTION WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND THEN
>> BEGIN
>> /*
>> do something to handle the exception within
>> the nearest BEGIN
>> */
>>
>> -- Exception Handler1
>>
>> END;
>> END;
>>

>> EXCEPTION WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND THEN
>> BEGIN
>> /*
>> do something to handle the excpetion raised by
>> contract_start_date SELECT */
>>
>> -- Exception Handler2
>>
>> END;
>> END;
>> END;
>>

>> The problem I see is that when the NO_DATA_FOUND exception is raised
>> after the SELECT, the program goes to Exception Handler1 instead of
>> Exception Handler2 as I want it to.
>>
>> What was I missing? Any insight will be appreciated!
>
> What is missing is a variable declaration

That variable is declared properly.

>  >     select min(contract_start_date)
>  >     into l_min_contract_start_date
>
> Where is l_min_contract_start_date defined?

I omitted the declaration intentionally because that has nothing to do with the problem I see.

> In the future post complete error messages and Oracle verison.

I'm running Oracle 8i(8.1.7) on Sun Solaris8. Unfortunately, there is no error message at all. Have you tried my code?

--
"Conceal a flaw, and the world will imagine the worst."
			- Marcus Valerius Martialis