Re: Updating by RowId when alread has fetched the row....

From: Mark <simmons_mark_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Mar 2004 08:16:52 -0800

Srivenu,

I was thinking about your post on the way home on Friday, and it *DOES* bring to light something that should be considered if you are to store rowids in a table...

Don't plan on re-orging a table with rowids by using the simple alter table move command. I believe you would have to create a custom script for this purpose. Something like this..

#1. create backup table that stores pkey+rowid of table that will be re-org'd
#2. issue alter table move command on that table #3. go back and update the rowid's in the table with the rowid column using a join from the table in step #1 and the new table, based on pkey,newrowid,oldrowid

I think that's how you would do it.

Mark Simmons
Sr. Oracle DBA
Sabre-Holdings, Southlake, TX