Advanced queueing question

From: Tim Kearsley <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 8 Mar 2004 06:55:37 -0800

Hi all,

Environment is:

Oracle 8.1.7.3
AIX 4.3.3
RS6000 hardware

We've recently had a major upgrade to an application and the application vendor has started making extensive use of Oracle's Advanced Queueing. My knowledge of this topic is next to nothing and I'm doing some reading now to try and get up to speed.

In the meantime I wonder if anyone can comment on a possible performance issue in respect of AQ?

The application users have complained of "poor performance" ever since the upgrade. The application uses a three-tier architecture with the client essentially just a browser and the middleware and database located on the server. I'm using statspack as one tool in my endeavours to find out if there really is a problem. I notice that the "queue messages" event is usually at the top of the "Top 5 Wait Events" section of a statspack report. To quote an example, in a 5.5 hour sample the queue messages event clocked up statistics thus:

                                                         Avg
                                           Total Wait    wait  Waits
Event                     Waits   Timeouts  Time (cs)    (ms)   /txn
queue messages           54,422     21,558  25,678,484   4718    0.2

My question is: Is this "normal", or does this represent real waiting by users?

There are 36 job queue processes kicked off when the database is started, if that is relevant to this.

Many thanks for any input.

Regards,

Tim Kearsley
HBS Received on Mon Mar 08 2004 - 08:55:37 CST