Re: 2 arch and db processes

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:25:00 +1100

> > > agreed. but now i wanted to know where to set the number of dbwr or
> > > arch.. and there is no spfile whatever.
> >
> > You set this in your initialization file, SPFILE or INIT.ORA. Make sure
> > that the INIT.ORA you are modifying is the one that the database is
> > actually using.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Brian
>
> i checked through initsid.ora and there are no pfile parameters. i was
> thinking to do a sql select to confirm whether my oracle parameters
> are from initsid.ora but couldnt find the necessary ones.

To check whether you are using an spfile or an init.ora, run SQL*Plus, connect as SYS or SYSTEM and type:

show parameter spfile

If a value is displayed in the response, you are using an spfile. If the value is displayed blank, then you are using an init.ora.

> but one
> thing i am very certain is that i changed the value for
> shared_pool_size for oracle error "ORA-04031: unable to allocate 9712
> bytes of shared memory" for it to take effect.

Well, how did you do that?

Did you edit something, or did you just issue an 'alter system set shared_pool_size=X' command?

> also, i have found out that this parameter determines the number of
> db_writers i have "DB-WRITERS"

Close, but not quite. It's DB_WRITER_PROCESSES. You're allowed up to 10 of them.

>i did a grep but also couldnt find
> files that contain this parameter. my undersatnding is that the
> default is 1 so it wont be in initsid.ora

You really need to get a grip on what file it is that sizes your instance and sets the number of processes when you start up. You can't do database administration without knowing this extremely basic fact.

Find out if you're using an spfile or an init.ora. If it's an spfile, it will be in ORACLE_HOME/dbs or ORACLE_HOME\database. It will be called spfileXXX.ora, where XXX is your value for ORACLE_SID. If it's an init.ora, it will be in the same locations, and be called initXXX.ora. The files may have been moved, and they may have been renamed, but in that case there will be *something* left behind of the right name and in the right location pointing to where the effective file is really stored. For example, you may have an initXXX.ora, which contains the one line "IFILE=/somewhere/else/initODDNAME.ora". Or a one-line which reads "SPFILE=/somewhere/else/spfileODDNAME.ora". Or, if this is Linux/Unix, you may have symbolic links pointing to where the actual files are stored.

But one way or another, you need to work out what your configuration file actually is, what it is actually called, and where it is actually stored. And when you've done that, you can start learning the actual parameter names for setting things such as multiple Archiver or Database Writer processes.

Until you've done that, though, you're going to be just scrabbling around in the dark.

Regards
HJR