Re: Oracle running in a Windows 2000 Adv server more than 4G RAM

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 20:30:38 -0800

Ah Ming wrote:

> Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<iduj40dvv1qvhkuf4imrnao994ko92718n_at_4ax.com>...

>>>For what reason(s) that SGA is less than 2GB RAM? Can it apply in any
>>>operating systems? In the world, database server is less than 2GB
>>>RAM? Thanks for your recommendation!
>>>
>>>Ming
>>
>>You seem to subscribe to the 'more is better' school of tuning, in
>>order to make up for not being capable to design a proper normalized
>>and tuned database. You are starting from the wrong end, and soon you
>>will find out your 'method' doesn't work.
>

> Do you have any ideal or reference for SGA tunning when the database
> is using for POS use.  Thanks for your suggestion at all!
>
> Ming

There is no such thing as ideal. If there was DBAs wouldn't spend time tuning would they? What is required here is called work. Learn to use the V$ magic views. Learn to use explain plan. Learn to use DBMS_PROFILER. Learn to use TKPROF and Trace Analyzer. Learn Oracle.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu