Re: installing and running oracle 9 across 2 machines

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:35:39 GMT

bennies wrote:
> <cut>
>

>> This will not work.
>>

> If machine A has a NIC (unlcear from original post) it can work.
> run linux on machine B. use NFS. probably need to compile the kernel to
> keep a small memory footprint.
> Then mount the drive with 6.4G on machine A and install.
>
> Won't be pretty.. And I don't want to work with it.
> But it will work.
>
> Being a student makes you think out of the box sometimes ;-)

Assuming the poster wants Windows, Linux, and Oracle all for testing and learning purposes, better to remove Linux (and other non-essential files) from Machine A, use the freed up disk space to run Oracle locally under Windows, and then put Linux on machine B.

Using Samba (client or server) on Machine B would still allow network copying of files from one machine to the other (Windows doesn't include NFS client or server, AFAIK).

Beware that configuring a local TCP/IP subnet between a Linux box and a Windows box, using only a hub, without ruining existing Internet connectivity, could be daunting for someone with no networking experience (but worth learning).

Bottom line, a machine like B with only 32 MB memory and 6 GB disk must be at least five years old and is completely obsolete - if the power supply or other hardware hasn't failed yet, it will any day now. Not even a non-profit organization would likely take it as a donation. For about $500 US you should be able to replace it with no-name, no-OS desktop with plenty of memory and disk that will be good for several more years to come -- including meeting Oracle's minimum hardware requirements.

--Mark Bole Received on Sat Mar 06 2004 - 14:35:39 CST