Re: Resources for learning 10g in RedHat/Linux environment?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 11:51:26 -0800

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 1 Mar 2004 10:32:52 -0800, bweissbo_at_lucent.com (Bill W.) wrote:
>

>>Can anyone suggest website(s), books on teaching myself Oracle in the
>>RedHat environment?
>>
>>I have 7+ yrs experience in Sybase DBA work so I don't need the "this
>>is a database" kinda of stuff.  Looking more for something like you
>>might find in a week-long DBA class--setup DBs, problems and exercises
>>(preferably with answers).  That sort of thing.  Just looking to
>>increase the skill-set.
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Bill W.

> I don't agree with you. Oracle architecture is *completely* ( read
> COMPLETELY) different from Sybase.
> So Yes, you DEFINITELY need to read the Oracle Concepts manual, or you
> will either get some unpleasant surprises during your class, or end up
> in a mess.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand is correct. Your seven years of pervious experience is good. But it will lead you as far astray with Oracle as in the correct direction. If you don't read the concepts books and understand the differences you are doomed, at best, to mediocrity: Likely to worse.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu