Re: RMAN post-structural autobackups

From: Vitalo Pedrotti <vitalisREMOVETHAT_at_numericable.fr>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:36:02 +0100

"Brian Peasland" <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> a écrit dans le message de news: 4048DC6D.E367DE90_at_remove_spam.peasland.com...
> Vitalis wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > My question is about the following circumstances in which RMAN performs
> > control file autobackup (according to the doc.):
> >
> > After database structural changes such as adding a new tablespace,
> > altering the state of a tablespace or datafile (for example, bringing it
> > online), adding a new online redo log, renaming a file, adding a new
redo
> > thread, and so forth. This type of autobackup, unlike autobackups that
> > occur in the preceding circumstances, goes only to disk. You can run
> > CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK to set a
nondefault
> > disk location.
> >
> > I don't understand how, or when, RMAN gets to know about these changes.
Is
> > it just by checking at the following RMAN invocation??
>
> Any time you resync the catalog, or perform and operation that would
> automatically resync the catalog (whether you are using one or not), the
> control file can be automatically backed up.
>
> HTH,
> Brian

Thanks Brian for your quick answer!

I think RMAN guides are not as good as they should be. The explanation you gave should be in the doc., there is not a hint at what kind of magic does this trick.

Another thing: they're supposed to describe each functionality, first from a conceptual point-of-view, then from a technical one. In fact, both parts often include the same paragraphs (and tables)... which you can find in the reference doc. too!
It makes the reading about a specific topic rather painful since, of course, each part includes its peculiarities :-( Received on Fri Mar 05 2004 - 14:36:02 CST