How to apply archived redo logfiles on a consistent database

From: Karen Byrd <kybyrd_at_mail.med.upenn.edu>
Date: 5 Mar 2004 09:53:30 -0800

Situation:
I have an offline/cold backup
Database running archive log mode
I have all archived redo log files until today.

I want to restore the offline/cold backup. I want to apply all redos(roll foward).

After restoring Oracle will find the database in a consistent state and won't let me apply archived logs.

Yes, I only mounted the database. Not opened it.

What is the proper recover command to do this:

recover database [dbname]

or

recover database [dbname] using backup controlfile Received on Fri Mar 05 2004 - 11:53:30 CST