Verifying encryption is working? (Oracle 8i, Win2k server)

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:46:14 -0500

Hello everyone; I've just been playing with turning on encryption on our test server (Oracle 8i, Win2k server). I enabled the encryption- and it seemed way too easy... is there a way I can verify that encryption is actually on? At the workstation, I turned on tracing (Net8 local profile) and could see that it was finding the right info from the parameter file; and these lines were also in the trace file:

na_tns:  authentication is not active
na_tns:  encryption is active, using RC4_40
na_tns:  crypto-checksumming is not active

One thing that's confusing me- I turned on admin tracing for the test server's listener. In the listener.log, it shows the following lines:

nam_gbp: Parameter not found
nam_gnsp: Reading parameter "SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_SERVER" from parameter file
nam_gnsp: Parameter not found
naequad: Using default value "ACCEPTED"
nam_gic: entry
nam_gic: Counting # of items in "SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_TYPES_SERVER" parameter
nam_gic: Parameter not found
nam_gic: exit
naesno: Using default value "all available algorithms"

At the top of the file, it looks like it's using the listener.ora file to find the sqlnet.encryption params? Should I put my sqlnet.encryption_server=required into the listener.ora, too? This is from top of the listener.trc file:

Attempted load of command line source
Parameter source was not loaded

If I change the server's setup to "required", and my workstation to "rejected", I don't get a login. When I put the server's setup back to "requested", and the client back to "accepted", I do get a login. So that should be enough to tell me that yes, it's working- but I'd like to see more proof! Received on Fri Mar 05 2004 - 11:46:14 CST