Re: Import Oracle6-Dump from Novell into Ora8.17 on Win2k

From: Juergen Szittnick <juergen.szittnick_at_web.de>
Date: 5 Mar 2004 01:20:38 -0800

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<icve4012mqn7jpui6h1bfk60jvq9n9n1rh_at_4ax.com>...
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:59:08 +0100, Jan Lessing
> <lessing_at_med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I've got an old running Oracle 6 Server on a Novell-Netware 4.12 Machine
> >and dumped a complete Database with the exp-tool selecting a user
> >NEURONET to export. Now I just set up a brand new Oracle 8.17 personal
> >edition on a Win2k Machine and want to import the dump-file to the new
> >machine backup the data.
> >
> >I started the imp on a DOS-Commandline and logged into with the system
> >account, selected the path to the dump-file and said okay to the
> >default-settings asking for buffersize, rights, ... and at least the
> >imp-tool asked for a username before it ends with error:
> >
> >- If I use the username NEURONET from the old system, it says that the
> >user does not exist, Error 1435. That is right!
> >
> >- If I use the only valid account SYSTEM on the new machine, it says
> >IMP-00009: abnormal end in exportfile
> >
> >Do I have to create the user on the new system first, or do I have to
> >create an emty database to import into, or is the dump-file corrupted or
> >what do I have to do?
> >
> >Sorry, but it is the first time I want to import such a dump-file and
> >I'm not really familar with the imp/exp tool.
> >
> >Thanks a lot for your help, bye Jan from Göttingen, Germany
>
> If you have a full database export, the create user statements are in
> the export. The database must exist prior to import. It probably does
> exist, otherwise you wouldn't have met with ora-1435
>

> However, likely your export is corrupt.
> If you ftp the file, make sure you ftp it *binary*
>
> Export/import are documented in the Oracle Server Utilities manual.

You changed OS from Novell to Win. In this case I would create all tablespaces and rollback segments prior to the import. Otherwise, Oracle tries to create them with original path and filename, which may be unusable on your new system. After that being done, "imp system/your_password file=your_dump_file log=import.log full=y ignore=y" should do it. imp help=y may also be a good idea. Cheers
Juergen Received on Fri Mar 05 2004 - 03:20:38 CST