Import Oracle6-Dump from Novell into Ora8.17 on Win2k

From: Jan Lessing <lessing_at_med.uni-goettingen.de>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:59:08 +0100

Hi

I've got an old running Oracle 6 Server on a Novell-Netware 4.12 Machine and dumped a complete Database with the exp-tool selecting a user NEURONET to export. Now I just set up a brand new Oracle 8.17 personal edition on a Win2k Machine and want to import the dump-file to the new machine backup the data.

I started the imp on a DOS-Commandline and logged into with the system account, selected the path to the dump-file and said okay to the default-settings asking for buffersize, rights, ... and at least the imp-tool asked for a username before it ends with error:

Do I have to create the user on the new system first, or do I have to create an emty database to import into, or is the dump-file corrupted or what do I have to do?

Sorry, but it is the first time I want to import such a dump-file and I'm not really familar with the imp/exp tool.

Thanks a lot for your help, bye Jan from Göttingen, Germany Received on Thu Mar 04 2004 - 07:59:08 CST