Re: SQL Fun Challenge #2

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 13:29:46 +0000 (UTC)

Notes in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - The Burden of Proof
  Dynamic Sampling - an investigation
March 2004 Charlotte OUG (www.cltoug.org) CBO Tutorial
April 2004 Iceland
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> > When I switched to cost based, Oracle assumed that the
> > generated temporary table had the standard 8,168 rows in
> > it and changed the latter part of the execution path to sort/merge
> > rather than nested loop full tablescan.
>
> Is this 9ir2? The 8168 rows, I mean?

9.2.0.4 But I ran the same thing on 10.1.0.1, and got 23,400+ for the same query, even when I thought I had dynamic sampling enabled :(

> > When I enabled dynamic sampling at level 2 for the session,
> > Oracle then got a better idea of cardinality, and changed the
> > plan again.
>

> With something like this (all temp tables, all joined),
> where does the dynamic sampling kick-in? I mean, how does it
> decide at which point to do a sample and of which?
> Is there a rule somewhere?

The rule for session level, or query level hinting is that "level 2" means all tables with no statistics where a couple of other conditions are met (details in the Perf Tuning Guide) but one of the comments there is about 'would otherwise have to do an expensive full tablescan' - and how will Oracle know whether an in-memory temp table will be expensive if it doesn't sample it anyway ? I'm still working on dynamic_sampling and 'local' temporary tables independently - give me more time and I'll get around to what happens when they meet.