SQL Fun Challenge #2

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:22:55 -0800

Two mathematicians (Boris and Vladimir) met accidently for the first time in 20 years.

They greet each other and begin catching up on their respective lives.

Boris asks Vladi
"Do you have any children?" "Yes" replies Vladimir, "I have three." "How
old are they?", asks Boris.

"The product of their ages is 36 and the sum of their ages is equal to
the number of windows on that building across the street." Boris looks at the building, counts the windows then says "Vladi, that still doesn't tell me the ages." "Ah, says Vladi, then I must tell you that the eldest has red hair." "Oh", says Boris, "now I know their ages." What are the ages of Boris' children?

Create a table, load it with data, and write a single SQL statement to produce the data set required to deduce the answer ... then deduce away!

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu