Re: Direct IO In RH 3.0

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:20:39 +0100

Stan <stan0074_at_removethis.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Environment : Oracle 9.2.0.4, RH 3.0 ES
>
>Does ext3 fs support direct io. I couldn't find anything that is
>equivalent to forcedirectio as in solaris ufs. I have been using noatime
>for a while otherwise there weren't much changes done to default ext3 fs
>mount points. Any advice or caveats appreciated.

A hint from the world wide usenet:
machine:~# raw /dev/raw/raw0 /dev/blockdevice SVRMGR> create tablespace "DATA" datafile '/dev/raw/raw0' size nK; where n is the size of the raw device minus 1 database block.

Besides, you can use asynchronous I/O by setting parameters async_io=true and filesystem_io=something (from my head). You will have to relink Oracle though, it is easy. And it can be done in RH AS 2.1.

In short, I was hoping that RH 3.0 would support direct_io, 2.1 with ext3 doesn't.

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Wed Mar 03 2004 - 16:20:39 CST