Re: Large SMP Server -> Oracle 9i RAC on Linux

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:59:12 -0800

raj wrote:

> Anyone migrated Large (500GB+) Production Databases System from SMP
> Server to Linux and Oracle 9i RAC.
>
> What were the systems, what are the limitations encountered?

Are you moving to RAC for reasons of scalability, fail-over, or both. There are important distinctions.

I've done it and the one thing I can tell you is that RAC has what I call the 'spotlight' effect: It is extremely good at pointing out very poorly written code. And often with the result that performance goes down rather than up.

I would be happy to answer specific questions but my generic advice would be to have a very senior developer or DBA, someone that truly understands how PL/SQL works look at the code and analyze it from the standpoint of how blocks are read and might require transfer from node to node. Last month I watched a RAC implementation take an app that was doing 7000 inserts per second and drag it down to 1000 per second because the underlying architecture was bad. A rewrite easily took it to the stratosphere: But it did require a rewrite.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu