Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7 for win32) and AMD Opteron / AMD Athlon64

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 3 Mar 2004 06:38:37 -0800

Jacek ?liwowski <jsliwowski_at_szpital-no-spam-.elblag.pl> wrote in message news:<c23v7e$7ck$1_at_atlantis.news.tpi.pl>...
> I need detailed info if there are any problems (and possible solutions)
> with installing and reliability of Oracle 8i (version 8.1.7) on the
> following configuration:
> - CPU: 2 x AMD Opteron
> - RAM: 1024MB
> - OS: Windows 2003 Server
> I know there are problems with this version on Pentium 4 (and
> "pentium-4-like" CPUs).

Well, you should expect problems. These problems are not related to PIV bug, which has no relevance in this context, but to other issues:

  1. For Windows 2003 is certified only 9.2 (only as 32-bit).Certification of 10G is in progress. There is no certification of 8.1.7 neither against WIN 2003 nor Opteron CPUs.
  2. Oracle 8i for Windows is available only as 32-bit, which means that on 64-bit Opteron it will run in 32-bit compatibility mode. AMD stated that they're "getting the best 32-bit performance available anywhere", but who knows? Oracle 32-bit on any UNIX 64-bit platform runs without any problems, but I do not know how brand new 64-bit Windows will do this job.

So conclusion is: do not use this combination for any serious purpose.

with regards

--
Dusan Bolek

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email is going to
be burnt as a SPAM.