NLS character settings

From: Robert Gallas <gallasr_at_ustr.slposta.sk>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:06:35 +0100

Hello,

I have question about NLS character settings.

We have database created in:

NLS_CHARACTERSET                   WE8DEC
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET         WE8DEC

1st. scenario
client NLS_LANG = AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8DEC

2sn. scenario
client NLS_LANG = AMERICAN_AMERICA.EE8MSWIN1250

I have never been confronted with NLS setting in oracle enviroment so I do not really understand what is going on in background when converting characters. I have thougth that when converting from client session NLS to server NLS to store character is the same conversion as reading character from server NLS converting to client session NLS just vice versa. So what I do not understand shy oracle changes byte value of the character. Can samobody explain me this? Oracle is able to store 9E byte but just when the session NLS and server NLS are same_ I have a little(much) confusion in this NLS stuff.

What I thought was that oracle session takes 9E in EE... converst it to XX in WE...(acording to combination of client NLS and server NLS) when storing and vice versa when reading data if and only if the NLS combination of client and server is the same.

Thanks in advance
Robert Received on Wed Mar 03 2004 - 08:06:35 CST