Re: Oracle On Compaq Server

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:54:52 -0500

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> a écrit dans le message de news:91884734.0403021630.46a8bf5d_at_posting.google.com...
> > I have OpenVMS running Oracle, Gembase 4GL, Progress rdbms & 4GL, Basic,
>
> Gonna be going to Gembase 7 any time soon? How 'bout that Oracle
> optimizer, eh?

As soon as we get a problem fixed with Multinet (runs so slow with Oracle 817 and +)
Gembase 7 only supports Oracle 9i. We have experimented somewhat already, Ross did fix a bug or 2 in Gembase. Should be fine when we get there.

And yes, what about the optimizer?
Is there someting I'm not aware of? I use CBO already if that's what you mean.
.

> So what does Oracle do? Makes you run more than one machine and calls
> it a feature!

I don't get this one. I really have 2 boxes in a cluster with counted users license. One machine goes down? I restart the db on the other one and users just reconnect. No need for parallel server/RAC. Less than one minute of downtime and it rocks !
But you don't need more than one machine to get Oracle running...

--
Syltrem

OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site, en français)