Re: Oracle Recovery

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:08:22 +1100

"Jeff" <jeff.williams1_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:1b4c4d5d.0403021044.3e0f6217_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi.
>
> Can I roll forward logs accross a previous recovery. The previous
> recovery initiated was not what I needed and I need to go back
> further, restore the data files, and then roll forward the logs
> accross the previous recovery. Thx.

You can IF you can restore the control files as well to prior the initiated recovery.

Rule number 1 of ANY oracle recovery: back up the control files as they are BEFORE you start the recovery! Corollary to above: only reset the control files to "three multiplexed" AFTER you are fairly certain that you don't need to go back in time.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto