Re: Oracle Licensing Paper

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 2 Mar 2004 17:53:20 -0800

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:<40432bea$0$10339$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...
> "Paul Drake" <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "DJ" <nospamplease_at_goaway.com> wrote in message
> > > "Spring04-345u" <spring04-345U_at_dhf.eda> wrote in message
> > > >

> > > <snip sh*t>
> > >
> > > read the post about spam - you have done youself out of some business
> here
> >
> > DJ,
> >
> > I must vehemently disagree.
> > The link regarding the article was of high quality.
> > Oracle licensing is entirely relevant to the Database Administrator.
> > Have you read the guidelines in the OCP?
>
> I'm afraid I agree with Daniel and DJ. Yes licensing is relevant, however
> this was merely a suggestion that if you can't negotiate support correctly
> with Oracle corp you should therefore buy another product. It also was
> *extremely* similar to the pro postgres stuff that was posted here for no
> reason a while back.

The link said you should buy another product _in order_ to negotiate with Oracle support. That is the most freakin' stupid thing I've seen all day. And I _voted_ today. I think the examples cited completely ignore the overwhelming reality of support. There are no licensing police running around making sure DBA's are being fired. At worst, support isn't given because Oracle doesn't have the CSI in some computer. And there are ways to get a support call through even then, they just seem to flag multiple tries of unsupported calls. There's nothing wrong with requiring upgrades. There are plenty of places that are unsupported and there's no problem for years, until someone tries to get support. Then my experience has been they just pay, no 150% surcharge. Companies that pay for too much licensing generally do it because of management inertia following over-optimism ("We're gonna have 10000 users hitting our site simultaneously by this time next year!")

Yes, licensing is relevant, and I might even be a bit appreciative of a troll, but that article was looooooow quality, right down there with some of the worst Oracle marketspeak.

> Finally appergy are a commercial entity that consult on negotiating
> licensing with Oracle. All told I'd rather have seen this in
> c.d.o.marketplace.

Actually, I'm glad to have seen it here, so it could be put through the usenet wringer and shown to be bad. I can do way better than that stupid company, and I'm just some guy.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  Radio traffic reporter this morning said the CHP
asked for people _not_ to call 911 for voting problems.