Re: Oracle On Compaq Server

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 2 Mar 2004 16:30:08 -0800

"Syltrem" <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca> wrote in message news:<FS01c.520$Xy3.1971_at_tor-nn1.netcom.ca>...
> It's nice to hear that it works well (very well from the looks of it) for
> you.
> Problem is, you can't get the best out of those windoze machines from what I
> can see.
>
> I have OpenVMS running Oracle, Gembase 4GL, Progress rdbms & 4GL, Basic,

Gonna be going to Gembase 7 any time soon? How 'bout that Oracle optimizer, eh?

> Fortran, Cobol, Powerhouse 4GL, Apache, Pathworks (VMS becomes an active
> Windows domain member with this), etc, about 500 users, all on the same
> machine.
> I can install new software or patches to existing software (in a new home
> for the latter) without a need for a reboot and without affecting the
> running applications and users. I don't care about viruses and daily
> security patches.

http://www.arabtrust.com/support/sophosfaqvms.html#1.1

From the virus-l faq:

"As of January 1995 there were about 5,600 PC viruses, about 150 Amiga viruses, about 100 Acorn Archimedes viruses, about 45 Macintosh viruses,
several Atari ST viruses, a few Apple II viruses, four Unix viruses, three MS Windows viruses, at least two OS/2 viruses and two VMS DCLbased  viruses."

And I distinctly remember some jokey virus making the rounds in the early '80s. Not much to worry about, I agree.

> We too have a bunch of Windows boxes, each doing its own task (exchange,
> McAfee, IIS). But don't ever try to have one box running multiple softwares,
> you'll start to have (more) problems. You can pile up windows servers, but
> I'd rather have just one machine to care about, knowing it will not crash on
> me or ask for a reboot every time I touch it with an install or just config
> change.
>
> I don't want to start an OS war but the fact is, windows is not made to run
> too many things on one machine, there are too many conflicts of all sorts
> that can happen. Install one little thing (a printer driver can be enough -
> I've seen it happen) and you may have to reinstall the whole machine from
> scratch because it broke something hidden in the registry or else, causing a
> conflict with your business application. That's why I won't trust it for
> software my business is dependant upon to survive.

So what does Oracle do? Makes you run more than one machine and calls it a feature!

> Regards,
>
> --
> Syltrem
>
> OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4
> http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site, en français)
> ---zulu is not in my email address---
> "Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> a écrit dans le message de
> > Niall Litchfield wrote:
> >
> > > "Syltrem" <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca> wrote in message

> > > message

> > > scheduling

> > > at

> > > fix

> times
> is

> > > *don't*

> > > I collected some stats for oracle-l when a similar argument was made
> > > recently. For the last 3 months (the period for which I had stats) for
> our 4
> > > business critical systems
> > > System 1 Availability: 99.9945%
> > > System 2 Availability: 99.9816%
> > > System 3 Availability: 99.9926%
> > > System 4 Availability: 100.0000% (but missing a patch or two for other
> > > reasons.)
> > > Gotta like the 4 decimal places uptime.exe reports...
> > >
> > > This isn't intended as a my systems are better than yours diatribe, just
> an
> > > indicator that windows systems can be perfectly available and reliable.

_I_ haven't seen that. In places large and small. With capable people.

> I'd
> > > be prepared to bet that for at least the first year in a *nix
> environment
> > > competent windows sysadmins would produce systems with worse
> availability
> > > stats than their old windows boxes and vice versa.

That I _have_ seen. And I don't blame *nix for it.

> > I bet you "behave" on your Windows systems. And with that, I mean you
> > install the OS, possibly take out what you don't need (Outlook, IIS,
> > anyone?), install and run Oracle.
> >
> > No more, no less. No PDC and Exchange, too, no fileserver, anything of
> > that.
> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> > Frank van Bortel