Re: Connection problem ORA 12535 TNS Timeout

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:45:37 +0100

Bernd Maierhofer (dato) wrote:

> On my client I have
>
> BF1.DATO.LOCALHOST =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oracle)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = bf1)
> )
> )
>
> The error with BEQ was logged at the serverīs, so I think there is something
> wrong with the serverīs protocol?

>>The client should do (this is from the CLI):
>>
>>sqlplus system/manager_at_myserver
>>
>>Your client should have a tnsnames.ora file (default location
>>is %OH%\network\admin), with the entry:
>>
>>MYSERVER =
>>   (DESCRIPTION =
>>     (ADDRESS_LIST =
>>       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.1.200)(PORT = 1521))
>>     )
>>     (CONNECT_DATA =
>>       (SID = orcl)
>>     )
>>   )
>>
>>Of course, your HOST = entry, and SID = would be different in your case.
>>
>>Let's take it from there.
>>
>>BTW - you run Win2k + VMWare + Win2K Pro just to test a server?

> We have VMWare boxes for the various DBServers/Configurations we need for
> development.
>
> brgds
> Bernd

Well, I may be completely on the wrong track here. Let's summarize what I understood from your posts about your environment:

- You have a big machine, running Win2k.
- On that machine, you have:
-- Oracle 8iRel1 client
-- VMWare.

The VMWare virtual machine runs
---- Win2K Pro,
---- Oracle RDBMS.

Or, perhaps there's two machines. It does not matter for the scenario: you have a client, and a remote server.

Let's take a look at your tnsnames.ora:

 >BF1.DATO.LOCALHOST =
 >  (DESCRIPTION =
 >     (ADDRESS_LIST =
 >       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oracle)(PORT = 1521))
 >     )
 >     (CONNECT_DATA =
 >       (SERVICE_NAME = bf1)
 >     )
 >   )

  1. your remote machine (the server) is called "oracle"; you can ping oracle. 2a) your sqlnet.ora file (sits next to tnsnames.ora) contains an entry default_domain = DATO.LOCALHOST, or: 2b) You type @bf1.dato.localhost fully (instead of @bf1).
  2. On your server "oracle", you installed 8.1.5 RDBMS, with a SID called bf1. You did not give any domain to the database.
  3. Ergo, you listener.ora on the server must be: # LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File: D:\oracle\9iAS\network\ADMIN\listener.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

LISTENER =
   (DESCRIPTION_LIST =

     (DESCRIPTION =
       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
     )
     (DESCRIPTION =
       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oracle)(PORT = 1521))
     )

   )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
   (SID_LIST =

     (SID_DESC =
       (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
       (ORACLE_HOME = D:\oracle\ora815)
       (PROGRAM = extproc)
     )
     (SID_DESC =
       (SID_NAME = bf1)
     )

)

Can you verify this, and post listener.ora?

Also, tnsping's of 3 to 9 seconds are way too long! 600mSec to 1 sec on a WAN, 500msec or less on a LAN. I got 50msec on my (tiny) LAN, <10msec local, using tcp/ip.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel