Re: Connection problem ORA 12535 TNS Timeout

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:34:33 +0100

Bernd Maierhofer (dato) wrote:

>>Hold your horses! - this is BEQ, i.e. local.
>>Your ORACLE_SID environment variable is not set!

> Yes, this is strange. Happy, you saw it too. But shouldn´t the env set
> automatically by the Network wizard?
>

>>Looking at the error about the error ( TNS-4294967Message -1 not found;
>>  product=NETWORK; facility=TNS), I'd say your environment is not set
>>at all (ORACLE_HOME is missing, too - for starters).

> Silly question: How do I set these env variables? What format must they
> conform to?
>
> Bernd

Should be in the registry.

The client should do (this is from the CLI):

sqlplus system/manager_at_myserver

Your client should have a tnsnames.ora file (default location is %OH%\network\admin), with the entry:

MYSERVER =
   (DESCRIPTION =

     (ADDRESS_LIST =
       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.1.200)(PORT = 1521))
     )
     (CONNECT_DATA =
       (SID = orcl)
     )

   )

Of course, your HOST = entry, and SID = would be different in your case.

Let's take it from there.

BTW - you run Win2k + VMWare + Win2K Pro just to test a server?

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel