Re: Oracle8i client-Oracle10g server question

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:04:03 GMT

Kenneth Koenraadt wrote:
> Lesson 2 :
>
> Cost != ressources spent.
>
> Lesson 3:
>
> Cost = Opportunity Cost.
>

> Compare the cost of upgrading to the cost of *not doing it*; that's
> your real cost.
>
> The cost of upgrading X clients can be estimated very precisely; the
> cost of not upgrading can be surprisingly high if and when you
> discover your system lags completely. Which leads to lesson 4 :
>
> Known cost is better than hidden cost. Why do you think most PM's
> prefer the project to be estimated to 12 months and take 12 months
> than it being estimated to 6 months and take 9 months :-)
>
> - Kenneth Koenraadt

No argument with your statements.

Daniel discusses the price for the Oracle client.

Based on the post, he implies that the total cost is limited to the price. And implies both are zero. Thus implying that the cost of rolling out to any number of client machines is irrelevant. And that is something with which I disagree.

/Hans Received on Sun Feb 29 2004 - 17:04:03 CST