Re: Oracle8i client-Oracle10g server question

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:49:52 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> If you are paying $300/hour to have a consultant download what any 12
> year old can do for free. And software that is included on the 10g
> installation CD you will have every consultant on this continent
> knocking on your door offering you the deal of a lifetime.

You wouldn't be suggesting Boeing allow a 12 year old be in charge of patch downloads, would you? <g>

> And exactly where was it written, or even suggested, that the entire
> upgrade needed to happen in a single weekend? And what is the
> alternative? Stay with the 8i client when they move to Oracle 12?

I have been involved in a situation where this was dictated. I did not imply that that was the situation here, simply made the statement because it does happen.

As for staying with a specific version of client - it might be a matter of scheduling or resourcing. To expect that all client machines be updated with every patch/update/upgrade is unrealistic. To verify whether it's required at any upgrade or expect a justification, like the OP does, makes business sense.

Your comment back to Frank does not appear to acknowledge that costs (eg: resource costs), aside from license, may arise. Quoting ...

 > Unknown - as is Windows 10G client?
 > OP does not want to bother updating clients (many, VERY MANY)

Come on now. What was the price of the v7 client? 8.0 client? 8i client? 9i client? The price hasn't changed. Oracle charges by CPU or connected or named user. But not for client software.

/Hans Received on Sun Feb 29 2004 - 16:49:52 CST