Re: Oracle8i client-Oracle10g server question

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:57:38 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Frank van Bortel wrote:
>

>> Unknown - as is Windows 10G client?
>> OP does not want to bother updating clients (many, VERY MANY)

> Come on now. What was the price of the v7 client? 8.0 client? 8i
> client? 9i client? The price hasn't changed. Oracle charges by CPU
> or connected or named user. But not for client software.

Lesson 1: Price != cost.

Price of client software - $0

Cost of 7/8/8i/9i client software - minimal. (Even at $300/hour for the consultant to download it.)

Cost of distribution, for those who are still stuck in the client-server ages, can be exorbitant.

Imagine attempting to upgrade 25,000 clients. Now imagine being told that has to happen in a weekend. I know of several companies who have been in such a position.

/Hans Received on Sun Feb 29 2004 - 13:57:38 CST