Re: Oracle 10G - Been There Seen That! <- posting just because of happiness and joy

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:45:31 GMT

"FC" <flavio_at_tin.it> wrote in message

> "Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message
> > After one of the most painful instalations of Oracle in my history, I
> > was successful and now I'm running Oracle 10.1.0.2 on Linux x86. It
> > took me almost a week to get it, to install it and five minutes to
> > find out the first bug in the SQL engine.
> > I was able to install this on Fedora Core 1 with no tweaking at all,
> > so thumbs up both for Oracle and also for Linux community. Instalation
> > process was futher simplified from Oracle 9i and also one disc release
> > is great (even if some important stuff is on Companion CD).
> > DBCA was rewritten with a brand new design, but is as buggy as always
> > been, so no big change here. I wonder if some day, maybe when 14L will
> > be released, I will be able to create a new database just using DBCA
> > and with no errors.
> >
> > --
> > Dusan Bolek
> >

> Dusan, I think you should quickly move to a decent and stable OS like
> Windows XP, trust me...
> :-)
>
> By the way, how big turned out to be the installation?
> I've seen the requirements and before I can proceed I must find some
space,
> I don't have all the gigabytes they claim.
> I just want to install a test environment, 3 gigabytes and a half are way
> too much, did you manage to keep it below 2GBs?
>
> Bye,
> Flavio

Further to my last message,
I managed to install 10g yesterday evening on Linux RedHat 9, the only troubles I had were just before installing anything. For some reason I fail to understand, runInstaller returned a "permission denied" error when installing from cd.
As I was just fed up with Linux whims (I have been struggling with my Sony Vaio for almost a month in pursue of the right drivers, kernel upgrades, patches and so on), I copied the cd content on the hard drive and voila'. I followed step by step Oracle's quick installation guide for Linux x86 and the only hacking required (as detailed in the excellent site of Werner Puschitz http://www.puschitz.com) was to make believe the installer to be running on top of Red Hat Enterprise Release 3. After changing the contents of redhat-release file, everything went on smoothly and I had my started db up and running in less than 20 minutes. A completely different (and much better) experience than installing 9i on RH9 which took hours the last time.

So, I don't know what will come out next from 10g itself, but at least the installation was painless.
Now I just would like to know what's wrong with that damned runInstaller from cd...

I still have to install the companion stuff though.

Bye,
Flavio Received on Sun Feb 29 2004 - 05:45:31 CST