Re: Oracle8i client-Oracle10g server question

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:51:46 GMT

Hi,

It will be able to communicate, but the client will only be able to speak "8i"-language.

Which means that you won't benefit from many new features in 9i and 10g.

What's even worse, your developers and users will discover crashes like this :

Try selecting from a table a column of the datatype "timestamp" (which came with 9i) from an 8i client...the client doesn't know this datatype, so it needs to either crash, continue with a warning or (horror) continue delivering a wrong answer.

In short : Upgrade your clients to 9i *now*. And when you dare to upgrade your server to 10g, same with clients.