Re: Materialized View on Oracle 9i mastered by Oracle 8.1.6

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 02:26:33 GMT

Marc S. Gibian wrote:

> I have a need to create a Materialized View on an Oracle 9i server
> that is mastered on an Oracle 8.1.6 server. We have given this a try,
> but we get the following errors when attempting to refresh with this
> configuration:
>
> SQL> BEGIN
> 2 DBMS_REFRESH.REFRESH ('REP') ;
> 3 END ;
> 4 /
> BEGIN
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-02055: distributed update operation failed; rollback required
> ORA-02068: following severe error from TEST.WORLD
[...]
> My questions:
>
> 1 - Is it possible to successfully setup a materialized view in this
> configuration?
>
> 1a - If not, is there another configuration of Oracle replication that
> will allow propagating from a 8.1.6 master to a 9i target?
>
> 2 - Are there any special considerations that need to be taken into
> account for this cross-version replication configuration?
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.
>
> Sincerely,
> Marc

Yes, it's possible (8.1.6 -> 9.2.0.2). I followed the Oracle Advanced Replication manual as closely as possible, doing all the initial setup from OEM, and using SQL generated by OEM as a template for additional replication snapshots (MVs).

Check your init parameters, especially COMPATIBLE and GLOBAL_NAMES. I used read-only materialized views, perhaps an updateable MV is leading to the distributed update error (just a guess). Does the refresh fail consistently for all MV's?

--Mark Bole Received on Sun Feb 29 2004 - 20:26:33 CST