Re: Oracle8i client-Oracle10g server question

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:06:04 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

>> As for staying with a specific version of client - it might be a
>> matter of scheduling or resourcing.  To expect that all client
>> machines be updated with every patch/update/upgrade is unrealistic.

> I will respectfully disagree. Not that many don't maintain different
> versions ... but rather I don't think it unrealistic to expect
> otherwise.
>
>> Your comment back to Frank does not appear to acknowledge that costs
>> (eg: resource costs), aside from license, may arise.  Quoting ...

>>  > Unknown - as is Windows 10G client?
>>  > OP does not want to bother updating clients (many, VERY MANY)

> Client likely doesn't want to be bothered updating their antivirus
> software either. Doing so, however, is still prudent.
>
>> /Hans

> I think we have more agreement here than disagreement.

Assuming the universiality of 'client upgrade rollout automation', I am in total agreement. (After cost of such automation is factored in or amortized <g>.)

However, I do see a huge amount of manual rollout effort locally nad little, to no, automation. I am under the impression your client base is MUCH better equipped than mine. Perhaps it's time I looked into a new angle here ...

/Hans Received on Sun Feb 29 2004 - 18:06:04 CST