Re: Oracle Licensing Paper

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2004 19:52:23 -0800

"DJ" <nospamplease_at_goaway.com> wrote in message news:<MZ80c.1117$XB.365_at_newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> "Spring04-345u" <spring04-345U_at_dhf.eda> wrote in message
> > The coms should be changed to orgs. Sorry!
> >

> <snip sh*t>
>
> read the post about spam - you have done youself out of some business here

DJ,

I must vehemently disagree.
The link regarding the article was of high quality. Oracle licensing is entirely relevant to the Database Administrator. Have you read the guidelines in the OCP?

It is of the utmost importance for an Oracle DBA to know how to work efectively with Oracle Support, and to know what level of support they are entitled to.

It is important for the Oracle DBA to understand what features (options) their license(s) entitle them to use, for how many users or for how many CPUs. Features that are enterprise edition-specific change from release to release (e.g. analytic functions, stored outlines, connection manager).

Imagine being the DBA that wrongly installed Enterprise Edition with the partitioning and OLAP options on a 4-way server, when only Standard Edition was licensed.

Even after that person is terminated, the employer is still on the hook for a large amount of fees (larger than the DBA's annual salary, most likely).

I can forsee the day when someone will not be able to click thru a EULA without having their attorney review it, and submit their legal info into the EULA.

or maybe I've just been reading Groklaw too much.

Pd Received on Sat Feb 28 2004 - 21:52:23 CST