Re: Oracle8i client-Oracle10g server question

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 01:11:30 +0000

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:29:33 -0600, "A. Fuentes" <alvarof2_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have VERY MANY clients with Oracle8i client installed,
>and communicating without a problem to an Oracle 9i Server.
>
>Now, I am planning to migrate to Oracle10g server.
>Will the 8i client machines will be able to communicate
>to the 10g server? (as they are now doing with the 9i Server)

 Works fine for me, from a brief test. I can't spot any references in the manual as to connections from 8i clients being disallowed, as they are from v7 clients as of one of the Oracle 9i patchsets. (Or is the the other way around?)

 For a definitive answer before basing any business decisions on this, ask Oracle Support, of course.

--
Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk> / Space: disk usage analysis tool
<http://www.andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space>