Re: PEAR DB 1.6.0 has been released

From: Ed Avis <ed_at_membled.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2004 10:00:33 +0000

ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com (Ed prochak) writes:

[PEAR DB]
>This guy posted in multiple discussion groups, none related to his
>product.

The program (not 'product' - it is not for sale) works with DB2, Informix and Oracle among other RDBMSes.

I couldn't find the charter for cd.ibm-db2, but I have checked those for .informix and .oracle.misc and both of those groups appear related to the program.

>None of the groups were .announce, .forsale or .marketplace.

.announce is a fair point, if there were an .announce group that should probably be used instead. But there isn't.

.forsale is not appropriate because the program is not for sale. .marketplace is not appropriate because it is not a commercial announcement. (Again, I say this based on reading the charter for the .oracle.marketplace group.)

>Now I think we did discuss Jonathan's posts and the preferred place
>for them is still the marketplace group. But his posts in the other
>ORACLE groups have been tolerated since he does CONTRIBUTE to those
>groups. Has the OP, Analysis&Solutions
>(info_at_analysisandsolutions.com) contributed anything here?

I think you should just the article, not the poster.

Is the article about PEAR DB ontopic for the group? (It is related to the database systems in question.) Is it prohibited by the charter or by general Usenet rules against commercial announcements? (It is non-commercial and unconditionally free software, so I think it is allowed.)

>Well a google search in c.d.oracle.* shows only 4 posts by that
>email, one is the original PEAR advert, the other three were all
>Questions about date formatting. So I conclude that he contributes
>NOTHING to comp.databases.oracle.*

If he has posted a helpful announcement about PEAR DB, and that program is related to Oracle, then he has contributed something.

But again, judge each article on its merits, don't just the poster.

--
Ed Avis <ed_at_membled.com>