Re: "/ as sysdba" Failes But "sys/password@service_name" Works ???

From: Ibrahim DOGAN <idogan_tech_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2004 09:04:28 -0800

sorry guys i *thought* i figured out and i removed my post but couldn't catch up with you..

now i got new question:

Actually tThe issue was originated form the task of accessing mix of 8i/9i databases from a central host which has sqplus 8.1.7 version.

Suppose we have remote Unix boxes like 8i_host1, 9i_host1 and 9i_host2 hosting 8i_db1, 9i_db1 and 9i_db2 respectively.

an I'm trying to connect to these databases from a host called center_host.

Below is the list of cases i tried:

CASE-1 (FAILED)

FROM: center_host
TO : 9i_db1 (remote)

$> sqlplus "sys/mypass_at_9i_db1 as sysdba" ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

CASE-2 (OK)

FROM: 9i_host1
TO : 9i_db1 (local)

$> sqlplus "sys/mypass_at_9i_db1 as sysdba" Connected.

CASE-3 (OK)

FROM: center_host
TO : 9i_db1 (remote)

$> sqlplus "system/mypass_at_9i_db1"
Connected.

CASE-4 (OK)

FROM: center_host
TO : 8i_db1 (remote)

$> sqlplus "sys/mypass_at_8i_db1 as sysdba" Connected.

CASE-5 (FAILED)

FROM: 9i_host2
TO : 9i_db1 (remote)

$> sqlplus "sys/mypass_at_9i_db1 as sysdba" ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

CONCLUSION

seems sqlplus(9i) allows "as sysdba" option only for local databases. I can not connect to remote 9i database as "sys as sysdba". but this is doable for 8i remote databases as shown above...

i'd greatly appreciate if anybody could explain the logic behin sqlplus behaviour regarding "as sysdba" for remote database acceses and how can I connect to 9i remote db as sysdba ???

Thanks
i.d.