Re: moving oracle database server into a new server

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:45:15 GMT

Teresa wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris
> server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is
> 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch).
> Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and
> running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the
> tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need
> to do?
>
> Thanks
> Teresa

When I do this with windows boxes I either:

#1 Install oracle on the new box, create a new database and export/import from old db to new db

#2 Copy datafiles, init, sqlnet, tns.. etc over from coldbackup or shutdown old_database, startup nomount and recreate the controlfile to fit new environment.

#3 Restore from online backup of old_database and apply redo logs, again recreating the controlfile to fit the new env. (I usually only do this for "practice" and for creating a development copy of a prod db)

#2 is usually the "easiest" / fastest, but since your OS's are at different patch levels I'd think #1 is the best for you.

I'm sure I'll be corrected here in short order if others think differently however

hth Received on Fri Feb 27 2004 - 10:45:15 CST