Re: how to migrate from raw device to datafiles?

From: Stephan Bressler <sbresslerx_no_spam_at_arcor.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:57:40 +0100

Ulrich Villers wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We like to migrate our Oracle 8i tablespaces from raw devices to
> datafiles. Is there another way than exp/imp? RMAN? We run under Solaris
> 8, Oracle 8.1.7.3 (Update to 8.1.7.4 is in mind).
>
> Greets
>
> Uli

Hi,

- get the name and the blocks of your datafiles from v$datafile;
- shutdown your database (shutdown immediate)
- copy the data out of the raw devices into filesystem

   dd if=raw_device_of_datafile_1 of=/PATH/datafile_name_1 bs=db_block_size count=v$datafile_blocks

   (this assumes you use only one blocksize for all TBS, which is quite usual)

- startup your database into mount state
- rename the datafile (and logfiles) using the rename command
- open the database

That's it.

STephan Received on Fri Feb 27 2004 - 07:57:40 CST